Thursday, August 16, 2012

Measuring Fuel Economy


One of the reasons for me getting a motorcycle was the hope of saving funds spent on fuel. Obviously, a 1.3/1.6/1.8L car would down more gas than a 125cc bike. It would also get stuck in traffic much more, which needlessly consumes more fuel.

Whatever my bike consumed, I'm sure that it's less than if I would have taken a car. I know, as I only spend about 200 pesos per fill-up on the bike and which would last me a week, making the daily commute to and from work for 5 days, and minor errands on the weekends. Two hundred bucks of gas for the car on the other hand, probably wouldn't even last me a day. To add, the car gets filled with "Xtra Unleaded" while the bike gets "XCS".

Xtra Unleaded - Premium Grade Ethanol-blended Gasoline (RON 93+)
XCS - Premium Plus Grade Ethanol-blended Gasoline (RON 95+)

If it was consuming less, how much less? I was intrigued and wanted to get an empirical answer. I found and downloaded an app for Android called "Mileage". It was probably designed to monitor fuel consumption for multiple cars but works as well for a single motorcycle. You can get it free, here.



The app provides an easy and straightforward input format. Units can be customized and comments added.


The full "statistics" are also provided. If you want  to see the nitty gritty.




Here are the results from a month's worth of fuel fill-up data for the Kymco Super 8. This was the KS8's second month, and I hope that it's gas consumption has stabilized after the one month break-in period.



So if the calculations are correct, the Super 8's Fuel Economy runs from 25 to 30 kilometers per liter, with an average of about 27 kilometers per liter. Not bad, not bad at all.


OSW
--



No comments:

Post a Comment