Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Rain Gear

Since its been raining on and off since I got the bike, and was determined to ride to and from work, I needed to get some rain gear.

At first, I was hoping to get the 'regular' plastic/tarpaulin raincoat and pants from the hardware store. When I was already there, memories of my childhood raincoat went flashing back. I remember these things were so stiff, and eventually broke at the seams, especially under the arm and at the crotch. The worst part was these now cost nearly 600pesos a set! I wasn't willing to shell out this much for this kind of quality.

Did some research and found a Komine Rain Suit which was great as it had a  reflective colored jacket and black pants. It looked really cool. The downside was it cost around 2,500 bucks! And I wasn't willing to shell out this much, period. Though you may want to check it out as its a great looking product:


(Image from: motoworld.com.ph)

I found a reasonable compromise with a Givi Rainsuit. It came in all black with reflective stripes. It looked nice, fit was great, and allowed full range of motion. It looked like something you can wear outdoors, not just when riding. And it was priced at 1600pesos. Reasonable enough.

The test came the following day as I rode in the rain. The pants were kinda hot to wear as these did not have vents. So I was dry from the rain but a bit sweaty on the legs. 

The jacket was great! It was vented and allowed the wind to keep me cool. I got a size twice larger so my riding jacket fit nicely inside. The cuffs and neck were snug and didn't let rain through. The nice thing was the high neck area which nearly touches the bottom of my helmet. This near overlap prevented rain from trickling from the helmet and entering the jacket. Here's a photo of the Givi Rainsuit:


(Image posted at Motorcycle Philippines Forum)


OSW
 --

No comments:

Post a Comment