Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Riding Boots

I have no plans of buying dedicated riding boots. I didn't feel a need a pair as I go on a casual (slow) daily commute to and from work. Also, I find riding boots on display at the shops, too costumey, and ultimately, too expensive.

Nevertheless, I still needed sturdy shoes with enough protection during my ride, just in case. Something that I was willing to bust up, scrape on the pavement, get wet, get dirty, and didn't cost a whole lot.

The best solution I found, was to use my company-issued Safety Boots. Had several of these throughout the years, though I preferred the slip-on boot versions.

I didn't like to rough up the "Red Wings" so I went for the "Safety Jogger" in the stash.

The Safety Jogger was great for riding. It had a comfortable fit, it was light, waterproof, and had a "rubber sneakers"-kind of bounce, unlike the Red Wings which had more of a "cowboy boots" feel. It also had a steel toe and a stiff shank that prevented much flexing, probably most useful in preventing foot and ankle sprain.

Surprisingly, it was cool to wear even if it was full leather and extended about 11 inches high. Best of all is, I got it for free! Even if you had to buy it, the cost is only a sweet 1,800 pesos.


(Bestboot "Newer" Model. Photo from http://www.safetyshoesjogger.com/)

Though the one I have (2010 Model), has the small yellow (lower) label at the top and the branding is in reverse, yellow text on black. 

Three people had already asked me about these shoes for riding. The third one, which inspired me to write this post, I met just this morning. He was a cop who cut me across the road, and asked me to pull over. Naturally, I was worried that he was going to fine me for something. To my surprise, he just wanted to ask where he could get these shoes! Whew! 



OSW
--

No comments:

Post a Comment